Boort District Health has had an interesting and colourful history.
Until 1892 the first semblance of a hospital service was provided from a local hotel by John King, a doctor’s son. A room at Dr. Birds home then became the hospital until such time as a cottage hospital was built in 1903.
This hospital was rebuilt in 1920 as a private hospital and subsequently became the Boort Bush Nursing Hospital in 1931. Following a decision by the Hospital Board to adopt public hospital status, the existing hospital was built on its present site and opened in 1961 with capital works funding provided by the State Government.
Over the years the hospital has undergone a number of refurbishment’s and expansions. The Day Care Centre was built in 1989 and a new nursing home wing in 1997. In 1979 the Hospital Board auspiced the construction of a 30 bed hostel on crown land.
In 1989 the Board established a community health service for the district and following a series of amalgamations an expanded range of services is now provided through Northern District Community Health Service. Other outreach services which have been developed over the years include the District Nursing Service, Adult Day Activity and Social Support Programs.
The Dental Clinic was first opened in 1977 and has continued to provide much needed dental services to Boort and the surrounding district. Physiotherapy services commenced in 2007 and continue to provide service one day per week.
In June 2008, the Board resolved to change the name of Boort District Hospital to Boort District Health. In 2014, the State Government provided $14 million to update the buildings. In 2016, a new 25 bed Ageing in Place facility, 7 room Acute area, 3 bed Urgent care centre, new Kitchen, Laundry and Activity rooms were constructed.