About Residential Aged Care Costs


Understanding fees and payment options

The costs of residential aged care are made up of a number of parts. Depending on your situation you may be asked to pay one or more of following costs.

A basic daily fee

This covers living costs such as meals, power and laundry. For some people this will be the only fee they are required to pay.

A means-tested care fee

This is a means-tested fee that is payable by some residents. It’s an additional contribution to the cost of the care you receive in a residential aged care home. You can download the Combined Assets and Income Assessment form from the Department of Human Services.

Although this fee is collected by the aged care home it is paid to the government as a contribution towards the care you receive.

An accommodation payment

This is the cost associated with the accommodation, including the room that you will occupy. BDH has set a maximum accommodation price of $500,000 which will be assessed against the new residents' Centrelink entitlements. 

Residents can choose to make their accommodation payment in one of three ways:

  1. A Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD). You can pay the room price in full as a lump sum amount. This amount is held by the home for the duration of your residency, and is fully refundable to you when you leave.
  2. A Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP). You can choose to not pay the lump sum amount, but a daily interest equivalent amount added to your monthly fees.
  3. A combination of RAD and DAP. You can pay any portion of the RAD lump sum amount, and pay the remaining balance as a DAP equivalent.

Fees for extra or additional optional services: you may also choose to access additional optional services for you or your family member. In this instance additional fees would apply.

Contact Us


Frequently asked questions

Help to understand the financial aged care maze


How can I find a financial planner with expertise in residential aged care?

Visit The Government’s ASIC MoneySmart website for information that can help you select a financial advisor.


Boort District Health can also give you the details of financial planners that have assisted our residents. You can contact the Nurse Unit Manager at the Boort District Health for financial planners in your area.


How can I organise to may my age care fees to Boort District Health by direct debit?

Contact Boort District Health accounts for more information on accounts@bdh.vic.gov.au or (03) 54515200


If I move to another home or leave aged care, what happens with my lump sum accommodation payment?

If you choose to pay a lump sum amount as a Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) the amount is held by the residential aged care home for the duration of your residency. It is fully refundable to you when you leave, unless you choose to have any of your fees and charges deducted from the lump sum RAD amount.